The Siege of Phoenix Hold
- PCs are to update their characters to 15th Level
- Items: Enhance all current gear up to Level 15 (or +3 minimum for those that are +3 beyond level 15).
- New Items will be given out as listed below.
- The following lists some of the things your PCs have accomplished, failed to accomplish, or are on your way to completing over the past few months.
- As a quick summary, Adalbrandr (Captain of the Black Company), Gable (Commander of 1,000 men), and others (possibly Perren?) have taken to guerilla fighting and leadership of the Defenders of True Aricia. The Duke Aramakis and his General, Lord Echo, Commander of the Black Legion, have taken over much of the north of Aricia and are pushing south. Over this time they have solidified their hold on nearly everything in the north and are working towards a political coup in the south. Duke Ondris went missing (Kacper and group’s fault), however, so they are weaker than they desire and have begun reaching out to foreign allies in order to seal their control of Aricia.
- Phoenix Hold has been under siege all this time; Lord Echo has been unable to commit his entire army to take the place and it is well-designed to hold out against large armies. The majority of the most seasoned warriors on the Defenders of True Arcia’s side are stuck here. They have portals to outside locations and are resupplying primarily via magic.
- To help with the background and describe how you have gone from Level 11 to Level 15 over this time, I have created three options that you will choose from below. As a group, you will read through the 3 Options, pick one that you have already accomplished, one that you are on your way to completing (where we will start), and one that you have had to give up for lost because of constraints on time and other resources. Each option gives a benefit to the group and a penalty for not choosing it. Choose wisely!
o Option 1 The Airship: The merchant [Nameface]’s airship was taken by the Black Legion for Duke Aramakis’ Army. It is being used to devastating effect against the True Defenders of Aricia. It is being utilized for quick strikes, troop movement, precious cargo, and missives/information. It has been kept hidden in a small town near the eveln border protected by a contingent of the Duke’s elite soldiers – overseen by a Slaadi Death General.
Accomplished: Defeated the elite unit led by Captain Orvid; have taken the Air Ship; weakened Aramakis’ army and caused a major morale boost to the True Defenders
Ignored: Two more provinces fall to Captain Orvid’s strikes; morale loss for the True Defenders’ army; “Why haven’t you stopped that man?”
o Option 2 The Tower Abrakkas: Lord Echo has sent a significant portion of his troops to take the Tower Abrakkas (the tower of magic in Ixyela). Its loss means great mystical boons to the Duke Aramakis and a devastating blow to the Defenders of True Aricia.
Accomplished: PCs use guerilla tactics to harry the much larger army and enter the tower. They activate ancient defenses thought long lost and a legion of Warforged from the lost Hoard of the Mechanus arrives to save the Tower. PCs gain the Warforged Legion as allies, magic items to each player (a Level 18 or less item; Rare or lower) and the Duke’s Gnoll army is obliterated.
Ignored: Complete loss of the Tower Abrakkas and the Ixyela province; no support from the Duchess of Ixyela; destroyed and looted tower falls to ruins and the Duke’ army is enhanced by great magic.
o Option 3 The Northern Portals: The Duke Aramakis is creating a new fortress called the Golden Keep (named for the Dragon ally). Portals to the Far North and other locales are opened/being manipulated and Lord Echo is getting Orc Mercenaries from the Crimson Empire and the Barbarous Wastes.
Accomplished: Shut down the largest source of resupply and troops for the Duke. Gain respect of an orc band called the Uncaring (motto: “Red in Tooth and Claw”); shut down the portals for troop movement; are gifted an item from the Orcs that turns out to be the Herald’s Defense (Item of the Black Company).
Ignored: The Orc Mercenaries reinforce the Gnoll and Slaadi armies at the Siege of Phoenix Hold; the Herald’s Defense is worn by the Orc Captain at the siege and a major enemy from the Barbarous Wastes is summoned forth from the portal to assault Phoenix Hold.
- I would like for each player to come up with a short description of some event that has occurred specifically to their character over the past few months. In exchange, you will receive a reward. You may tie the reward in to the description if you like; an example is listed below:
o Lost an Eye in the Battle at the Red River; defeated a major opponent and took his ancestral heirloom in exchange for the Eye.
o Grew close to a member or group over the course of the war only to watch them die in a desperate battle. Or, you returned to a village you had been using as a staging point to find it destroyed. You salvaged [Item] from the ruins.
- Reward will grant you any non-artifact Paragon level item. You may not use this to increase a current item to a higher level.